A number of viable areas for future research emerged from the discussions at Publishing Unbound:
- A survey of funding models for independent publishers including cooperative funding, crowd-funding, institutional support, etc.
- An examination of existing professional codes of conduct and systems of accountability in cultural industries as possible models for the publishing industry.
- A survey of current funding models for digital-first magazine publishing, including changes to the Canada Council funding models.
- Surveys of diversity in Canadian publishing industry and in publishing output.
- An investigation into best approaches to gathering and disseminating existing information on inclusivity, accountability, and accessibility in the Canadian publishing industry.